Pages

Friday 12 August 2011

Mango Mousse


Mango Mousse3


I love mangoes in any form. Back in India, during Mangoes season there used to be a competition between me, my mom and my grand-mom, about who eats maximum number of mangoes per day. We even used to select the ripe mango before the other got up and hide it in a safe place :-) It all seems so silly when I think of it now, but it is those silly moments I enjoyed the most :-)
When my mom was first diagnosed diabetic, the first question she asked the doctor was, "Can I eat Mangoes?" And the doc answered, of-course you can eat mangoes, one or two pieces per day, or at the maximum 1 per day, and seeing the confused expression on my mom's face he asked how many she ate per day, and she coolly replied around 6 to 8. I can still remember the face of the doctor, with his jaw dropped.
Yeah we used to eat around 6 to 8 and sometimes 10 mangoes per day, skipping lunch and dinner. That is the love we have for this particular fruit.
After coming to Germany I always missed them. The mangoes we get here do not have the taste of the mangoes in India.
Whenever I crave for mangoes I get the canned ones in Indian store. Well, something is better than nothing :-)

Coming to the recipe, I made this when my friends visited us for dinner, and it was a huge hit. Luckily I made extra portions, because most of them ended up having two portions.


Mango Mousse2


What you need :

Mango Pulp : 500 gms ( I used canned, you can even used fresh mangoes)
Egg whites : 4
Cream : 500 ml ( I used 38% fat cream)
Gelatin leaves : 4
Powdered Sugar : 1 cup
Lemon Juice : extracted from 2
Mango pieces and raspberries to decorate

  1. If using fresh mangoes, puree the mango cubes in a blender along with sugar and lime juice, or if using canned pulp, mix together mango pulp, sugar and lime juice well. Keep aside.
  2. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  3. In another bowl beat cream till soft peaks form and is fluffy.( Before whipping, it is better you put the bowl and cream in freezer for 5 mins)
  4. Soak gelatin leaves in cold water. Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of water, squeeze gelatin leaves and dissolve them in hot water and add it to the mango mixture.
  5. Add cream to the mango mixture and mix gently. Then add egg whites to this and fold till well combined.
  6. Pour this into a dish and and refrigerate for at least 4 to 5 hours. Alternatively you can even spoon the mix into individual cups or glasses and refrigerate.
  7. Serve chilled and enjoy !!

Mango Mousse1


Verdict :
Utterly Heavenly. It a treat especially for a Mango lover like me.
Make sure you have extra portions, because I can ensure you no one can stop having just one portion. :-)

7 comments:

Manju said...

I hear ya, girl. Nothing can beat the taste of mangoes in India. I miss them too!

kankana said...

we indians have this special love for mangoes and I am glad that you made this mousse. This looks so creamy and delicious.

Anonymous said...

Yup, we'd be among the ones eating 2 helpings of those. Looks so delicious.

Spandana said...

@Manju Yeah.. I find that to be the major disadvantage when living in other countries
@Kankana Thanks
@TadkaPasta Thank yoy

Umm Mymoonah said...

Lovely looking mousse,nice pictures.

Deepti said...

love to have it anytime...wish I were in India during summer, just to havesome mangoes...

http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

Sia said...

well, i don't blame ur mom! who can resist the king of fruits? I love mangoes and love ur recipe too :) thanks for dropping by my blog and leading to ur lovely space :)