Pages

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Beans with moong Dal


Beans2

Last month was holiday time here in Germany. Most of my friends had their moms visiting them. When ever I used to call them, they usual reply I got was " I am playing with my son, and lunch?? yeah.. my mom took over from me, she is cooking something." An other friend of my said " I had some shopping to do, so I left my daughter with my mom, and they were playing together, she made delicious parathas by the time I came home." Again a similar story, one of my friend had guests for dinner, and when I called her the next day casually to ask how it went, she said " It went very well. All of them enjoyed the food so much... my mom made Biryani, and it was all sold up. "

So, got the pattern, when moms visit us, we handover the kitchen to them... But I thought I would be different. I wanted to ask my mom to rest while I cooked for her . My mom came here on Sunday... I was all excited... As I have decided earlier, I did not make my mom cook ... I asked her to relax and play with her grandson.

Today morning I woke up and came downstairs to get milk for my son and prepare for breakfast... and what do I see???
She is already up, milk already boiled, and cooled and ready to go into bottle. Everything prepared for breakfast... and she was planning on what to cook for lunch.... my my... u see.... Moms :-)

So its not that we handover the kitchen to them... they take over from us :-) or is it the same ... (confused)

Coming to the recipe... This was made by my mom for today's lunch.... a simple and delicious dish which goes very well with Steamed Rice or Rotis.


Beans1


What You Need :

Beans : 400 gms
Moong Dal : 1 cup
Ginger : 1 inch piece, finely chopped
Green Chillies : 2, finely chopped (increase or decrease acc. to taste)
Onion : 1 , finely chopped
Turmeric : 1/4 tsp
For Tadka :
Dry Red Chillies : 2
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Jeera : 1 tsp

Oil : 3 Tbsp

  1. Soak Moong Dal in enough water for 2 hrs. Strain and keep aside.
  2. Boil a cup of water in a medium sized pan, add salt and add chopped beans. Cover and cook till done. Strain the beans, and reserve this water.
  3. Heat oil in a wide pan. Add all ingredients under tadka.
  4. After the mustard seeds splutter. Add onions, ginger, green chilli and turmeric.
  5. Fry for a minute.
  6. Add moong dal. Fry for a minute.
  7. Add 1/2 cup of the water from Step 2.
  8. Add salt, cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Till the water disappears.
  9. Add Beans and fry for 2 - 3 minutes on medium heat, and then on high heat for 2 min.
  10. Serve hot with Rice or rotis.
Mom's Tips :
Do not add strained water in Step 7, more than 1/2 cup, else it becomes mushy.
Add a handful of chopped coriander leaves for extra taste.
If you are in a hurry, or if you forgot to soak dal before hand. Boil dal along with beans. Strain immediately after done.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks so flavourful n yummy

Sushma said...

that looks so yummy, nice combo..i loved ur vessel..

munchmunchcrunchcrunch said...

yup..we need not handover the kitchen...they take over from us...i my enjoying "mom time" aswell now...the beans look so colorful and yummy...nice clicks

kitchen queen said...

lovely simple curry to have with rasam or sambar rice.

BongMom said...

Yes Moms do take over :) The beans look lovely

Umm Mymoonah said...

Healthy and yummy, mom's make always the best for us.

Pushpa said...

Refreshing and yummy beans and dal.

Chanchal said...

What a colorful and yummy dish..

RecipeRaaga

Usha said...

Mouthwatering!

Miri said...

This is a very nice and healthy recipe - better to eat moong dal like this than like a dal or kootu

GV said...

HAPPIIIEEE!!D

I should tell you, am struggling to get a new dish on my table for my foodie hubby and coming across this blog is like > Luck! :P

But also, I love the food pics and recipes, am gonna try few very soon insha'allah.

Dori said...

How healthy! :)