Last weekend I have been to the farmers market and could'nt resist myself in buying these..
The best recipe I can suggest with cherries is..... take them in a big bowl... switch on your favourite movie and just relish them as they are :-)
But J wanted something different. I had this recipe bookmarked long back and wanted to surprise him.
Recipe Source : Joy Of Baking
Fresh Cherries: 500 gms, pitted and halved
All Purpose Flour(Maida) : 210 gms
Baking Powder : 1 1/2 tsp
Salt : 1/4 tsp
Eggs : 2, at room temperature
Sugar : 150 gms
Butter : 110 gms, soft, at room temperature
Milk : 80 ml
Vanilla Essence : 1 tsp
How I did it:
- Pre heat oven at 200 degrees C.
- Butter and Flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- Separate around 15- 20 cherries (to be placed on top of the cake).
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat together butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Then add eggs one by one and beat till pale yellow.
- Add the milk and vanilla essence and beat till incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and with the help of a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix well.
- Gently fold in the cherries (not the 15 cherries which were separated).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth on top with the help of the spatula.
- Bake for 15 mins. Remove the pan and quickly arrange the cherries on top, with cut side down.
- Put back the cake in the oven, and bake till done, for about 30 to 40 mins. Or till toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
And the verdict:
Wow... just heavenly... the sweetness from the cherries enhanced the taste of the cake.. and with each bite I could feel the yumm taste of the juicy cherries...