I saw this recipe here. And I loved it. I wanted to try it immediately. But it needed so much oil.. well, I thought, once in a while it is okay to cook such yummy dish.
But again, my weighing machine told me I was crossing the acceptable weight. My jeans was telling me i was losing shape....
So, I saved it in my favorites for some days.. but it kept haunting me... why not try once, one time does not matter...
And who says I am out of shape.... Round is also a shape :-)
What you need:
Chicken : 1 Kg, with bones
Onion : 1, big, chopped
Ginger Garlic paste : 3 Tbsp
Lemongrass : 4, chopped
Dry red chillies : 10, soaked in water for about 15 - 20 mins (adjust according to taste)
Tomato Soup : 1 cup
Coconut milk : 1 cup
Star Anise : 2
Cinnamon : 2 inch
Cloves : 5
Cardamom Pods : 5-6 , ground coarsely
Salt : to taste
Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
Oil : for deep frying + 1/4 cup
- Marinate chicken with Salt and Turmeric. Set aside for an hour.
- Heat oil for frying in a deep wok and fry the chicken pieces till golden, drain on paper and keep aside.
- Put Onion, Lemongrass, Red chillies and Ginger Garlic paste in a food processor and make a coarse paste.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a wide pan.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and star anise, until it emit a nice aroma.
- Add the processed onion paste. Fry till the raw smell disappears and is fragrant and oil separates.
- Add tomato soup, coconut milk and chicken pieces.
- Add salt.
- Lower the heat and cook till the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with spring onion, and serve hot with rice or rotis.
If you don't have tomato soup, you can use tomato puree. Use the homemade puree, I feel store bought very tangy.
If you don't want so much fat in your dish, you can skip frying the chicken pieces before hand, and add them directly in Step 7 and cook till done.