It is made with a variety of stuffings and the taste differs from one region to an other. The recipe I am posting is my mom's recipe and our favourite.
Brinjals: 1/2 kg
Onions: 2 medium size
Ginger-Garlic : 1tbsp
Tamarind paste : 2 tbsp / or tamarind size of lemon
Peanuts: 1/2 cup
Nuvvulu / Sesame Seeds : 1/4 cup
Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
Salt : to taste
Red chilli pwd : 1 tbsp, or acc. to your taste
Haldi / Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
How I did it:
- Chop onions, and fry in a tsp of oil.
- Roast peanuts and sesame seeds, with out any oil.
- Grind together, all the ingredients (onions, peanuts, sesame seeds, ginger garlic paste, tamarind paste, salt, turmeric, red chilly pwd, garam masala), to a fine paste.
- Wash brinjals and pat dry. Make 4 slits on each brinjal, on the opposite side of the stem, taking care not to cut it completely.
- Fill in the paste in all brinjals. This step requires some patience, separate the slits of the brinjal carefully and stuff the masala taking care not to break the brinjal.
- Add oil in a pan , and add all the brinjals, once the brinjals are 3/4th done, add some water to the remaining paste and add it to the brinjals.
- Cover and simmer for few mins, till it comes to a boil, and the brinjals are done.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.