Bagara Rice is very simple and goes with any type of gravies. It does not have lots of masala in it, but just has the flavor and aroma of masala. Veggies are usually not added to it, but I add a few to make it colorful.
Rice: 2 cups, uncooked
Water: 3 cups (1.5 cup water for 1 cup rice)
Onion: 1 small, optional
Ginger Garlic Paste: 2 tbps
Whole Masala:Mace: a 1 inch peice, Cloves:5, Cinnamon:1 inch piece, Black Cardamom: 1
Carrot: 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Peas: 1/2 cup, frozen
Salt: to taste
Ghee/Oil: 2 tbsp
How I did it:
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add onions(if using), fry for a min and add ginger garlic paste.
- Add the veggies and fry for a min.
- Add rice and water. Add salt to taste.
- Tie all the whole masalas in a muslin cloth or in a tea strainer and drop in the water.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook as usual till rice is done.
- Remove the whole masala and Serve hot with any gravies.
And the Verdict:
As I said, it is perfect for parties and its mild flavor compliments with any type of gravy/curry.