I had few bananas, which were untouched and became ripe. And I thought it was time to put them to some use. The first thought that came into my mind is a banana cake..... but I am such a chocoholic that I wanted some chocolate also in the cake. So the best thing is Chocolate Banana cake.
The bananas add the extra sweetness to the cake and keep it really moist and fresh for 2 or 3 days. It is perfect as tea time cake.
All Purpose Flour : 175 gms
Cocoa Powder : 25 gms
Baking Powder : 1 tsp
Brown Sugar or Golden Caster Sugar : 175 gms
Butter : 150 gms, softened
Eggs : 3, at room temperature
Bananas : 2 large, ripe and mashed
Dark Bitter Chocolate or Plain Chocolate : 100 gms
Icing Sugar : 1 tbsp
How I did it:
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Butter and flour the bases of two loaf tins.
- Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a small glass bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir until smooth and remove from the heat.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one by one, beating well between each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa and fold in using a large rubber spatula.
- Add the mashed banana and chocolate and mix well.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 tins and bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.
And the Verdict:
Rich, Chocolaty, moist and mild sweetness of the bananas.... yummmmm... can anyone resist this? :-)
I used dark bitter chocolate, and J dint like that bitter taste in cake. So I would use plain chocolate next time.