Pages

Sunday 13 April 2008

Onion Pesarattu (MoongDal Dosa)

Pesarattu5
Pesarattu with Coconut Chutney


Whenever we used to visit a udipi restaurant, the first thing that I would order was DOSA. I always used to spend atleast 10 mins on the menu reading all types of dosas available. As far as I can remember only Dosa has such huge variety of variations - Plain Dosa, Onion Dosa, Masala Dosa, Paper Dosa, Rava Dosa, Set Dosa, MLA Dosa and what not :)

One variety which I like in Dosa apart from the above mentioned is Pesarattu. I always used to wonder why is this not mentioned under Dosa category in restaurant menu.

I have been reading all the blogs from past 3 months, and it has been raining Dosas in Blogosphere since the day Srivalli announced the Dosa Mela. I felt very bad missing all the fun becoz of Morning Sickness, but I am glad that I am able to make it before the deadline :)

Onion Pesarattu:
Ingredients:
MoonDal(Whole or Split): 1 1/2 cups
Salt: to taste
Water: as needed, while grinding
For Topping:
Onion: 1, finely chopped
Green Chillies: 5, finely chopped
Ginger: 2 inch piece, finely chopped


dal_batter
Soaked MoongDal and Dosa Batter


How I did it:
  1. Soak MoongDal overnight in sufficient water.
  2. Grind it to Dosa consistency the following morning, using water as required.
  3. Mix salt.
  4. There is no need to ferment the Pesarattu Batter as we do it for regular Dosa.
  5. Take a Dosa tava and when hot put a ladle full of batter and spread it.

  6. dosa_fry
    In Process!

  7. Mix all the ingredient mentioned under topping, and put a spoonful on the dosa.
  8. Put oil on the sides and on the dosa.
  9. Let it fry till crisp. There is no need to turn over.
  10. Serve Hot with Coconut Chutney.

dosa
Yummy!!


And The Verdict:
A very wholesome, nutritious and delicious breakfast... Just Yummyyy!!!

Food Event:
This is my entry for the Dosa Mela event being hosted by dear SriValli of Cooking For All Seasons.

16 comments:

Uma said...

delicious entry!

Unknown said...

Healthy indeed..looks yummy too..

Unknown said...

Healthy indeed..looks yummy too..

SMN said...

Eevn i love this osa yours luks nice

Srivalli said...

Cinnamon, thats a lovely one..so glad you could join us..and congrats on the good news...

sunita said...

C, your dosa looks gorgeous :-)

Arundathi said...

I make this too but mix the green chillies, onions and cilantro into the batter, before spreading on the dosa pan. Its delicious.

Siri said...

Delish dosas Cinnamon and what a coincidence, even I made something similar. (though I am not a big fan of pesarattu.. but urs surely looks appetizing!..:D)

Siri

Dhivya said...

great entry!looks so yumm

Mandira said...

congratulations and good to have you back :) the pesaruttu looks fab!

Dori said...

Yum, looks good! I love to get these all gigantic in the restaurants.

Mrs.Kannan said...

i heard about pesarattu but this is the first time i am seeing in a picture....great entry Cinnomon...BTW how is your morning sickness now..Congratss wishing you a very happy pregnancy :-)

Sunshinemom said...

Hey, I too always order dosa but only when I am in Coimbatore, B'lore or Mysore!! That looks inviting!!

Cynthia said...

Hey! I missed you! Welcome back, Cinnamon mom-to-be :)) Heartiest congratulations!

Apple said...

Great to see u back dear :) pesarattu looks yumm n crisp...

Suganya said...

Congratulations on the good news... Take care of ur self....Onion pesarattu was a nice entry.....