Pages

Friday 28 September 2007

Gaarelu / Vada

Gaarelu is synonymous with the word Festival or Guests. When we were kids Amma used to make them only during festivals or when any special guests are visiting us!!!
Gaarelu/Vada/Ulundu Vada is a very famous South Indian breakfast which is accompanied with Coconut Chutney and Sambhar.
Everyone in our family likes these... hope even you will enjoy them :)


Gaarelu
Gaarelu



Ingredients:

Whole urad dal: 2 cups
Ginger: 2 inch, finely chopped
Green chillies: 4, finely chopped
Onion: 2, finely chopped
Salt: to taste
Oil: for deep frying

Method:

  1. Soak Urad Dal in enough water overnight.
  2. Grind into a soft paste, using very little water. The batter should be very thick, not like dosa batter.
  3. Add ginger, onions, chilies and salt to this and mix well.
  4. Take a deep pan or kadai and heat oil for frying.
  5. Wet your hands and take a lemon sized ball and flatten it and make a hole in the center. (You can use a plastic sheet or a banana leaf, to make things easier).
  6. Slowly put it in oil and deep fry on both sides till golden brown.
  7. Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambhar or even chicken curry!!


Garelu with kobbari pachadi
Gaarelu with Coconut Chutney



Notes:
  1. If excess water is added while grinding, it is difficult to shape and drop it in oil.
  2. Every time before taking batter into your hands, remember to wet your hands with water. This prevents the batter from sticking to your hand.
  3. Since you wet your hands each time and put them in the bowl containing the batter, after some time, the batter is likely to become thin. So it is better to work on the batter batch wise.

And the Verdict:
"Thinte Gaarelu thinaali, vinte Bhaaratam vinaali" is a very famous telugu proverb. And this says it all!!!

32 comments:

Apple said...

Spanz..naaku chesukune opika ledu so naaku 4 garelu kavali(dietinglo vunna kabatti)....new layout looks awesome....

amna said...

looks exactly like the way my mom makes. i love vada for the simple fact that its such an awesome comby with chutney :)

Finla said...

I love vadas and true whatyou sayabout them that it was made when there are guest at home.Just give me few with the chutney ....

Padmaja said...

hey I can live on those everyday!!!they look absolutely delicious!!
love your new header, u'r blog is amazing with autumn feel to it!!

Anonymous said...

loved the new header. vadas look so cute - small and dainty :)

Laavanya said...

Of all the vadais this is my favorite. Looks very good Cinnamon.

EC said...

wow, vadas.....can have it any time ...especially if soaked in lots of sambhar...your vadas with perfect holes are really tempting,

Padma said...

I love plain garelu with ketchup, can eat anytime of the day & night too ;)
Your new layout is totally awesome, its spring here too!

Bindiya said...

wow love these vadas soooo tempting!

TBC said...

Beautiful wadas and I love your new header:-)

sunita said...

The vadas look lovely indeed...

Rina said...

Wow! beautiful wall paper and the blog header looks cool. I like the colors. Please send the bowl of gaarelu with the coconut chutney across.

Suganya said...

Cinnamon, Love yr new look. AWESOME ;)

Rajitha said...

yumm..i love vadas..but i make them as bondas coz i am chicken to make a hole in the middle and drop in the hot-oil

Nabeela said...

yummmm....that coconut chutney looks delcicious..and the vadas? heaven!

Anonymous said...

I love gaarelu.The page is looking good. Symbolising coming fall.

Sreelu said...

Cinnamon, garelu bagunayi, I love the pic of autumn on your blog

Kumudha said...

I simply adore these uddina vadas!
This is very popular item in Restaurants across Karnataka
Iddly with Uddina vada is a great combo!

Chef Jeena said...

Cinnamon, I like visiting your blog just to see the word cinnamon so much. :) Lovely recipe the pics looks great, I have not yet used urad dhal but I am sure it tastes wonderful. I would love to swap links cinnamon if you like, I have already added your link to my blog. :) Great post. :)

Cynthia said...

I would most definitely enjoy these for breakfast or anytime.

Your header is exceptionally beautiful and seasonal. Love how you changed with the season.

SeeC said...

Lovely pictures. Absolutely delicious vadas.

Love your page header. Looks very neat and attractive.

Neelam said...

Vadas with coconut chutney- Perfect breakfast and your plate looks too tempting!

Sig said...

I am not a vada fan, but I love your new fall template... :)

Sia said...

lovely blog makeover cinnamon:) i love autumn colours... and vadas too:)

Anonymous said...

Cinnamon, i love wadas too, they r one of the best snacks one can have !! :-)

www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

S said...

hi ur garelu looks superb....

Bong Mom said...

this is the same vada right ? the one that also goes in "Dahi vada"

Shweta said...

Yummy looking vadas!! Now I am drooling :))

mummyjaan said...

Lovely website, and fab recipe. I wonder if you'd post your coconut chutney recipe as well? A 'novice' cook like me would really appreciate it.

Seena said...

Love vadas with chutney..

Pooja Na(i)rayan said...

I likedthe saying in the title. I never thought of autumn that way.

mummyjaan said...

I made these today. They turned out great. I always thought this was a difficult thing to make but.... it's quite simple.