We moved to a new cozy Home.. Please visit us at http://www.cooklikemom.net/
Tuesday, 8 November 2011
Dum Aloo is one of the exotic dish I relish.... I feel that it sometimes gets lost in the menu of a restaurant among all other fancy names of the dishes..
Potoates are such simple and can I say down to earth , that many take them lightly, one of my friend used to say, why does any one want to eat potatoes in a restaurant :-)
And talking of Dum Aloo, there are many ways to prepare it, Kashmiri Dum Aloo, Banarasi Dum Aloo, Punjabi Dum Aloo.... Some use Yougurt, some use coconut milk and some use cream.
Today it is about Kashmiri Dum Aloo...Rich Creamy Baby Potatoes in Yougurt Based Sauce....
I am not sure if it is authentic Kashmiri dish, because I changed it according to our taste buds...
What You Need :
Baby Potatoes : 15, approx
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp
Salt : to taste
Oil : For frying (See Notes)
Wash Baby Potatoes and pat dry. Peel them, and mix them with salt, chilli powder and 1 Tbsp of oil.
Heat oil in a Kadai, and fry the Potatoes till golden brown
Grind to Paste:
Onion : 1 Large, chopped
Tomato : 1, chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste : 2 Tbsp
Green Chillies : 3,chopped, increase or decrease according to your taste.
Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan, and add all the ingredients listed above and fry till it gives nice smell and onions turn translucent and tomatoes are mushy.
Cool and blend to paste.
Grind to Powder:
Coriander Seeds : 2 Tbsp
Fennel Seeds: 2 Tbsp
Cardamom seeds : 1 tsp
Dry roast the above ingredients.
Cool and grind to fine powder.
Grind to Paste:
Almonds : 6-7, soaked in warm milk
Remove the skin of the almonds.
Grind to fine paste along with the milk.
Whole Garam Masala :
Shah Jeera : 1 tsp
Star Anise : 1
Cloves : 5
Cinnamon : 2 inch stick
Bay leaves : 3
Kitchen King or Garam Masala : 1 Tbsp
Curd : 250 gms, beat lightly with fork till smooth
Salt : to taste
Turmeric : 1 tsp
Butter : 2 Tbsp
Water : 1 cup
- Heat 2 Tbsps of Butter in a wide pan.
- Add all the ingredients listed under whole garam masala.
- Once they start crackling, add the onion and tomato paste.
- Add Turmeric.
- Fry for a min or two.
- Now add the prepared masala powder. Fry till the oil separates.
- Now add curd and mix well.
- Add the potatoes, kitchen king/garam masala powder, along with 1 cup of water.
- Close the lid and let it simmer on low heat for about 15 to 20 mins.
- Add in the almond paste and mix well. adjust salt.
- Simmer for 5 more mins.
- Turn off heat , and finally add coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Roti's, Naan's or Pulao
Mom's Tips :
You do not have baby potatoes, you can even use normal potatoes with are quartered.
Instead of deep frying, you can just heat one Tbsp of oil and shallow fry. OR you can even used boiled potatoes OR you can roast potatoes in oven till golden brown.
If the gravy gets thick, you can add half cup more water, but remember to adjust salt.
Thursday, 3 November 2011
Berries.. in particular Strawberries and Whipped Cream, can it get better than that??
This is very easy to make and its fun if you try it with kids.. My son had wonderful time assisting me ... licking away all the extra cream :-)
What you Need :
Strawberries : 10 - 15, fresh and ripe
Mascarpone : 50 gms
Whipping Cream : 75 ml
Granulated White Sugar : 3 Tbsp
Vanilla extract : 1 tsp (optional)
Chocolate Sauce : to drizzle (optional)
- Wash the Strawberries and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Make sure that the strawberries sit flat, if not cut the green stems off the strawberries so they will stand upright when served.
- With a small sharp knife, cut an "X" in each strawberry, cutting almost to the bottom of each strawberry. Make sure not to cut it till the end, if you do the strawberry comes apart.
- Gently with your fingertips, spread each strawberry apart to make "petals".
- Now make the cream filling.
- In a bowl whip the mascarpone cheese and whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the cream into a piping bag fitted with a large tip.
- Pipe the cream into the strawberries.
- Place in the Refrigerator for 30 mins and serve cold.
- Drizzle with Chocolate Sauce if you like.